Make moving reservations 2 - 4 weeks before your move day.
Set aside an overnight bag containing all your essentials, including change of clothes, toiletries, laptops, tablets and chargers. With essentials at hand, you can find important items easily and quickly during packing, and start off comfortably in your new space.
Take photos of how your electronics are connected to confirm their arrangement during reassembly.
In a clear, plastic bin, pack items you will need first in your new space. Include things like box cutters, paper towels, trash bags, eating utensils, select cookware, power strips, extra chargers, toilet paper, tools, etc. The clear bin allows you to see inside and is easy to find among cardboard boxes.
- Pack plates vertically, like records - this is the safest method. Do not use printed newspaper to wrap fine china.
- Use cardboard & plastic boxes with tops, to allow stacking.
- Use packing tape, not duct tape or other tapes, to keep boxes properly sealed.
- Use small boxes for heavy items to make lifting much more manageable.
- Label sides of all boxes with room and a few key items inside. Side-labeling allows boxes to be stacked. Room-labeling helps place boxes immediately in their correct location.
Unpack by room. The unpacking process will feel much more manageable.